Tuesday, March 23, 2010

Some days you're the windshield, some days you're the bug

Long time no see...

Two weeks ago I had an amazing LA actors experience - shooting a top-rated major network television  show. It was the chance and learning opportunity of a lifetime. And what I hope and will work hard to be the first of many, many co-stars, guest stars, and if the stars are aligned, someday a television series on a major network or cable (AHEM... Showtime!) in which I star.

But last week I had an even more unique and amazing LA actors experience - this one in the form of a casting directors' sessions. Casting director sessions are these brilliant opportunities where you pay about $40 for 5 minutes of one-on-one or two-on-one time with the industry's top casting directors, or, sometimes more importantly, their casting associates and assistants, who will someday say (hopefully) I remember when I cast him in....

Well in this particular session, I went in with a somewhat green but very charming and very nice actor. He took a rehearsal suggestion with flying colors and we worked the scene out pretty nicely for the casting director. After our performance, we sat down to answer questions.

I was first up - "What made you want to be an actor?" I gave some canned and witty response. They laughed. I chuckled. Ahh.....

Next question. For my teammate in this exercise. "What made you want to be an actor?" His response - something about an ex-girlfriend, a music video, right place right time etc.

Next question - teammates 2nd at bat - "What happened to that girlfriend" His response - we broke up. Chuckles all around.

3rd question again to my compadre - "This is totally unprofessional - but do you mind if I set you up with someone in my office?"

STRIKE THREE.

His response - "Uh"

My response - Red face, sorely bitten lips, trying to hold my NYC-influenced attitude in. And of course polite albeit forced chuckle.

Back to the pitcher (casting director) "Yea my friend totally loves baseball players and I think you guys would be perfect. Do you mind - seriously? Omigod and then I can say I cast him in this show and set him up with his wife. Ha! What do you think?"

I think I just bit blood out of my tongue.
He utters an akward "sure".
I shoot off with "well, make sure she's cute buddy. You don't want to go out with some cow."

STRIKE OUT JASON!!

Okay so I perhaps could have bit the bloody tongue a bit longer - but I had to get my point across.

The mood changed, she asked if we had any questions, I muttered a trite "What are you doing now?" She avoided the double entendre. End of session. Game over.

Okay so lesson - just bite the bloody tongue. Sure I was pissed. I paid for this after all. But what can you do? Its Los Angeles - it is a town full of hidden agendas and it's really about our (my) reactions to those agendas that really dictates my success out here. It's a town of ups and downs, sometimes you're the windshield, sometimes you're the bug.

So I chalk this one up to experiences. And when said Casting Director is saying some day "I cast him in..." about my fellow actor, I will hopefully be laughing, relaying an "I remember this one time when..." to Chelsea Handler in her post-Oscar Interview Special.

No comments: